Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mary Prayer: When You Need Sleep


In the opening chapters of Behold Your Mother, I share the story of how Mary's spiritual motherhood came alive for me when I became an adoptive mother. My first tentative efforts at motherhood would not have gone so well, I believe, had Mary not been watching over me every step of the way.

One of the more challenging aspects of motherhood, I've found, is dealing with kids who have sleep issues. Mornings tend to be hard ... all the bickering and picking drives me nuts, especially since my own sleep patterns have been disrupted as well!

This little prayer is for sleep-deprived mothers everywhere:

Good morning, Mary, you who never sleep!
Stay with me, be ever near
Sweetly whisper in my ear.
Pray that I might be like you
Patient, kind, and loving too.
Mary, Help of Christians, help me now. Amen.