Monday, September 29, 2008

The Reverent Heart

Today at "Streams of Mercy," I posted on a topic that I've been wanting to write about for some time now ... what does it mean to be "reverent"?

As a convert to the faith, I am sometimes struck by the tendency in some circles to equate certain actions (or lack thereof) at Mass with "real" worship. And yet ... at what points does the preoccupation with the actions (and questioning the motives) of others have a detrimental impact on our own humility and ability to focus ourselves?

Certainly the Blessed Mother would have been the picture of reverence ... and yet, women of her culture and generation were sequestered in their own section of the synagogue. I wonder ... did Mary ever have a hard time keeping the toddler Jesus quiet during shul?

I welcome your thoughts...