Monday, September 15, 2008

Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows


Today, the day following the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, is a Marian feast dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows. In honor of this feast -- which commemorates the many sufferings of Mary -- please pray with me the Stabat Mater. This is the abbreviated version of the prayer I found here.

No matter how many times we pray the Rosary, the Passion of Our Lord is not something we frail humans can easily contain. How much more horrifying, then, was that suffering in the eyes of the spotless Virgin! And yet, in the mystery that is time, we are invited to "tarry with her," to stand by her as she keeps watch beneath the cross.

Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us ... now and as we wait with thee.

At the cross her station keeping,
stood the mournful Mother weeping,
close to Jesus to the last.

Through her heart, His sorrow sharing,
all His bitter anguish bearing,
now at length the sword had passed. ...

O thou Mother, fount of love!
Touch my spirit from above,
make my heart with thine accord;

Make me feel as thou hast felt;
make my soul to glow and melt
with the love of Christ, my Lord.

Holy Mother! Pierce me through,
in my heart each wound renew
of my Saviour Crucified;

Let me share with thee His pain,
Who for all my sins was slain,
Who for me in torments died.

Let me mingle tears with thee,
mourning Him Who mourned for me,
all the days that I may live.

By the Cross with thee to stay,
there with thee to weep and pray,
is all I ask of thee to give.

Virgin of all virgins blest!
Listen to my fond request:
Let me share thy grief divine.
~(Cf Raccolta, No. 378)