Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Mary Moments, a Sneak Peek

Logo courtesy of Esther

This month is the sneak peek of the Mary Moments carnivals we'll be hosting each month. Next month, we're theming the Mary Moments with "Great Books about Mary," and everyone is welcome to join us! If you have a post, you can submit through the online form or by emailing me at peerybingle [at] gmail [dot] com. If you have a book you would like us to consider using as we build the carnival, please contact me directly. Submissions are due by the 10th, and the carnival will go live on the Feast of the Assumption (which is conveniently located on the 15th, which is when you'll see the Mary Moments carnivals here each month).

So, this month, I have been thinking about various Marian themes. They've been filling the quiet moments of my middle-of-the-night prayer times as I nurse my baby and soothe my three-year-old. The various titles. Different prayers. Roles Mary plays in lives.

But it came back, for me, to what's been going on in my life, and the chaos that has seemed to be a part of how each day has been playing out. When I find myself sitting still (like in the middle of the night), I have thought about how busy Mary must have been, how her days must have been filled with different things to do. I've been reflecting about busy and rhythm, and in that I often turn to my Mother in heaven.

She, after all, didn't have the conveniences we have. Maybe she didn't have the distractions either, but I'm guessing I have things a lot easier than she did, and she was raising the Savior.

So, with that in mind and as I've struggled to be open to the graces that are there, waiting in the challenges of day-to-day life, we're going to start at the beginning, Mary's Magnificat, found in Luke 1:41-45.

The posts we've assembled this month have a variety of themes, and they all come back to Mary. Mary leads us always back to her Son.

In her Magnificat, she reminds me to be thankful, always thankful, and to say YES to the graces God is holding for me, if only I will see them.

My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.

Denise presents A Blueprint for Your Domestic Church.

For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden; for behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

A Catholic Texan presents A response to Pilgrim.

For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name. And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.

Jen presents The distressing disguise of Jesus.

He has shown strength with His arm: He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.

Barbara presents Novena to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. She also shares Marian feast day activities and a prayer asking Mary to come to the aid of her children.

He has put down the mighty from their thrones, and exalted those of low degree. He has filled the hungry with good things; and the rich He has sent empty away.

Fr. Joshua Wagner presents Miracle Grow!

He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy; as He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to His posterity forever.

Hope you enjoyed this sneak peek. Things will be slightly different next month, as we're theming things around great books about Mary.

Until then, may Mary lead you always to her Son.