Friday, May 30, 2008

On the Feast of the Visitation


Dear Cousin Elizabeth:

Thank you for your warm, loving welcome. Although Zechariah was uncharacteristically quiet in the beginning (clearly his encounter with the angel was very different from mine ... I haven't been able to stop talking since it happened!), it felt good to share my joy with someone who understood the reason for it.

I wish I could say as much about my own family. Joseph hasn't spoken to me for days; neither has mother. They know me ... and yet, they don't. Not really. Not if they think I'm truly capable of what they THINK I've done. And yet ... well, it IS fantastic, isn't it?

How I wish I could be with you, even now. To see little John grow up alongside his cousin, would make my happiness complete. Now that I'm entering my confinement, I imagine it will be quite some time before I see your sweet face again, or his .... But please know that your voice still resounds in my ears. "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!"

Ah, how blessed we both are, that the Almighty has done such great things for us!

Ever your loving cousin,

Mary